BEA maxi takes place every work day from 9am to 4pm.
Bosque Escola Avelãs maxi is the continuation of BEA pre-escolar (education in nature for preschool-age children) for primary-age school children. It aims to support the region’s homeschooling and unschooling families who want to educate their children in nature. It opens its doors in the fall of 2021.
Through a natural and artistic environment we aim to promote and support the children’s active learning processes.
We are a multicultural community project. As a group of families who are deeply involved in our local community we also aim to participate in various local/regional projects, for example the community pizzaria (Oficina Pirata), a community market (Sabado Vivo), a community garden, etc.
Some of the activities of BEA maxi:
- Multidisciplinary projects
- Learning survival skills (identifying local flora and fauna, eco building, farming,… )
- Learning life skills (cooking, dressmaking, cleaning,…)
- Involvement in community projects
- Non-formal education
- Excursions to forests/farms/museums…
- Free play in nature
- Arts and artesanal activities with natural elements such as wood, clay, stone, cork, wool.
Some of our principles:
- Foster creativity
- Harness the various language skills of the children
- Promote emotional literacy
- Nurture and care for all living beings
- Encourage healthy eating and physical movement
- Cultivate a sense of personal and collective responsibility
- Stimulate self reliance and autonomy
- Democratic and efficient decision making
- Inclusivity and gender equality
We follow the school calendar of Portugal that is adopted by the municipality of Marvão, adapted to the pedagogical necessities of our project.